Sunday, March 11, 2012

Post Cards from Illesheim and Bad Windsheim


This is the only post card I could find of this place.  Add about 4 inches of snow and that is what the front gate looks like now!  One thing I forgot to tell you in the letter:  the village is called Illesheim, but the post is called Storck Barracks.  All army posts are called barracks over here.  Naturally the officers club is called the "Stork club"

This is an aerial view of Bad Windsheim which is only about 2 miles from Illishiem.  If this picture had been taken from the other direction you could have seen Illishiem and Stork barracks.  This picture does show you nicely what the land close by looks like though.

This is a good picture of what Bad Windsheim, and most of the other towns around here look like.  I took several hours one day and walked all around these streets looking at everything.  that church in the center is empty and I don't think they use it for anything.  I guess it was damaged in the war.

Like I said in the letter, their are several interesting things to see in Bad Windsheim.  This is a picture of the court house or city hall or as they call it the Rathaus.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. I was stationed at Storch Barracks with the 66 Armored Btn. in 1960 and have fond memories of the time spent in Windsheim. My first child was born in Windsheim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was stationed at Illesheim, I was a gate guard for 11 months. The main gate looks about the same except the Storch Barracks sigh was not over the gate at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was stationed here 1964/1965. 4th Mel 57th arty/ b. Battery. Barracks to the left past the gate. Had an apartment in bad windsiem! Hawk middle. Em club across from my barracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were stationed at Stork Barracks 1965-1967. In 591st. Transportation Co. Also lived in Bad Windsheim. Where were you located? We lived on Konrad Forster Gasse. It was near the edge of town by what was once the moat. Have been back to visit and at that time things had not changed to much.

      Delete
  4. This brings back memories. I was in Storck Barracks from 1062-1963, HQ & HQ Co., 35th armor, 4th armor division. I was a gate guard while I was on the short timers list, also worked at the officers club. Would like to see more photos.

    Joe Shepherd

    ReplyDelete