Sunday, March 11, 2012

January 31, 1971


Dear Mom and Dad,
Enclosed you will find my first roll of film from my new camera.  They're not that great but I was mostly just finding out how to use it at the time.  You might find some of them interesting, though.
 These are all shots of the front of the O'club from different angles.  as you can see, it looks kind of bad.  The plaster is falling off all over the place but sometime around May it is supposed to be fixed.
 The building is only 4 years old, but the Germans who were contracted to build it, did a lousy job.  the plaster is not the only thing that is falling apart, but it does look a little better inside.
 There is an interesting story behind the map of the US on the front of the club.  It seems as though one day a very large piece of plaster fell off the front wall after a particularly wild party.  Because there was no funds to fix it, something had to be done to cover it up...so someone had the bright idea of just chipping the blank space that the plaster left into the map you see in the picture!  But as you see it hasn't stopped the progress of the falling plaster If this trend keeps up we will have a map of the whole world up there.



 This is a shot of the office in the club.  those two people are my manager and secretary.  the manager is a Sargent, E-6



A small part of the combination dinning room, Ball Room, dance floor and meeting room inside the club.

 The Bar


Some beer mugs that belong to the officers in one of the Armored units here.  Each new officer in that unit is given one when he arrives and they are kept in the club.


Some our 6 infamous slot machines.  All of which are very old as slot machine go.  Some of the bigger clubs over here have rows of 20 or thirty of them but since they cost from $700 to $900, this is all we can afford to have.




The BOQ that I live in.  The bottom 4 windows belong to my room.  The BOQ is right next to the O'Club.  I couldn't quite get both buildings into the pictures..  At least here, I'm close to my work!

This is the inside of my room.  I have a bedroom and a living room, between which is a bathroom, so it is really a 3 room apartment.   the pictures make it look kind of bare.  Mainly this is because I don't have my things from the states yet.
I will write a more complete letter later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment