Sunday, February 12, 2012

This blog consists of transcripts  of letters I wrote home between Aug. of 1970 and May of 1971. after receiving my commission as a 2nd Lt. in the US Army.  In the summer of 1970 I was sent to Ft. Lee Va. for additional training in the Quarter Master Corps, and from there I was sent to Germany around Christmas of 1970 and was there for more than a year.  I was 22 years old when most of these letters were written.  I had originally received orders to go to Viet Nam, but those orders were changed at the last minute, and I was given the opportunity to go to Germany by extending my commitment for a year, which I did.

 I've tried to leave these letters pretty much as they were written, although in looking back on them it's easy to see my youth and inexperience clearly, and after more than 40 years, I'm certainly not the same person as I was then, however this experience is a part of my makeup and foundation.  There are also some photos that I will scan as I go along in this project.  Some of the letters are quite long,  so it will take a while to get them all re written.

No comments:

Post a Comment