Monday, August 5, 2019

July 15. 1971

 Dear Mom and Dad,

Well whether you want to or not you're going to see a little more of Geneve before I move on to somewhere else.


This is the Palace De Wilson, on the Quai De Wilson, both named after President Woodrow Wilson.  this was the original League of nations Building.


Here's a good shot along the shore of Lake Geneva with the city in the background.  It rained shortly after I took this one.


A Swiss Swan Swimming



I bid farewell to Geneva.


Here are the pictures I've been really waiting to send you.  After Geneve I drove to Interlaken, which took about half a day.  These next 8 pictures were all taken along the way which was through the most beautiful country I have ever seen.  My only regret is that I didn't take more pictures.  The one above was taken at the very beginning of the road that led through the Grimsel Pass.  I took this route because it looked like a shortcut to Interlaken.  It seemed to be a very little traveled road, and it turned out to take quite a long time to travel it because of it's very steep and winding nature.  However it was well worth it.  I really can't describe how spectacular it was.  This was the last picture I took until I got to the top, mainly because the road was so nerve shattering that I didn't dare stop any place to take photos.


This is the top of Grimsel Pass - 2165 meters, or 7144 feet.  There's a small hotel here and also a restaurant where I stopped and had lunch.


This one was also taken from the very top.  you will notice that there is another small hotel on the other side of the frozen lake.


This one was taken on the way down.  The road going down wasn't quite as bad as the one going up, if you believe that from lookin at these pictures.  Can you even imagine how they could find a place for a road in land like this?  I can't either, but they did.  If you look very  carefully, you will see another hotel in this picture.  It blends right in with the rocks.  They say switzerland is a nation of Inn Keepers, and I can believe it because they put them any and every where.


Here's another one taken on the way down.  Notice part of the road below me in this one.


This one was taken just as I was almost all the way out of the Grimsel Pass, but it was still quite high.  I took this one mainly to show you some quinine Swiss cows.  they are somewhat of a different breed than you will see anywhere else.  In most of the Swiss towns, the hottest selling items for tourists are these big cow bells that the Swiss ;put on their stock  so they can keep track of them in the hills.  I was tempted to stop several times and appropriate one, for free from a real swiss cow, but I didn't.



These are the last two I took on the Grimsel Pass, on the north side.  About 35 miles down this valley is Interlaken.  If you put these last two pictures side by side you will get a panoramic view of what the whole valley looked like because I took them from the same spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment