Thursday, June 25, 2015

May 13, 1971

 Dear Mom and Dad,
Here we go again, more pictures.
Below the Bamburg Castle, and below Domburg we come to the first branch of the Regnitz River which runs through the heart of the city.  The regnitz is, in turn a branch of the River Main.




Looking across this river you will see the second of Bamberg's two large churches.  Not that there are only two churches in Bamburg, as a matter of fact there are at least 12 in the city.  This particular one is called Michaelsberg, or St. Michaels.



A closer look at St. Michaels.



Closer yet.  I'm just sorry that I didn't dare take pictures inside, because at the time I went in people were inside worshiping.  It's really beautiful inside to say the least.  Also inside are the remains of Bishop Otto, whoever he was.



In this picture I have come down from the hills around Bamburg and into the city proper.  This is the second branch of the Regnitz River.  The two branches of the river make the middle section of Bamburg into an island.


I took this picture from the footbridge in the picture above this one.  This particular building is the old City hall.  As you can see it's built right in the middle of the river.  I wouldn't want to have any wild parties in that half timbered building hanging so delicately over the water.


This is also the old City Hall from a different angle.  The entire walls on both side of this building are covered with these fantastic paintings.




This statue is the same one that's on the right hand side of the bridge in one of the pictures above.


In a newer section of town, in a residential area I came across this interesting fountain.



Another fountain, this one of a more modern design.  There is a lot of contrast in Germany between the extremely old and extremely new and modern.



I close this group of pictures with two old quacks.  I have just scratched the surface of Bamburg with these pictures.  Everywhere you turn there is a possible picture of interest.  I hope you still find the pictures interesting, if so I will keep pouring them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment